Dr. Daniel L. Deforest
Dr. Daniel DeForest, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director of Strategic Integration, Air Force Technical Applications Center (AFTAC), Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. He directs the organization’s innovative and applied research, novel concept development, and strategic outreach supporting the verification of nuclear weapon-related treaties and emerging warfighter requirements. In this role, he also partners with US government organizations performing related research to integrate efforts towards a common goal.
Dr. DeForest has served in a variety of leadership and technical positions in government and industry. Prior to his current position, he was the Director, Materials Technology, and prior to entering civilian government service, Dr. DeForest led research on innovative satellite technologies within Northrop Grumman Corporation. This followed 26 years of active duty in the United States Air Force, culminating in his retirement as a Colonel and Military Assistant to the Chief Scientist of the United States Air Force. Dr. DeForest is a 1980 graduate of Baylor University, and received his PhD from Texas A&M University. His military contributions span intelligence, acquisition, research, and operations. He has commanded at the squadron level. Dr. DeForest was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in August 2008.
- 1980 Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, cum laude, Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- 1982 Master of Science degree in nuclear science, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 1991 Doctor of Philosophy degree in nuclear engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station
- 2000 Master of Science degree in strategic studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 1980 - 1982, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- 1982 - 1986, nuclear research officer and Chief, Mass Spectrometry Chemistry, McClellan Central Laboratory, Air Force Technical Applications Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
- 1986 - 1989, student, Texas A&M University, College Station
- 1989 - 1993, Chief, Evaluation Branch, Nuclear Plant Division, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
- 1993 - 1994, Air Intelligence Agency liaison to the Central Measurement and Signatures Intelligence Office, Defense Intelligence Agency, Bolling AFB, D.C.
- 1994 - 1997, Deputy Director, Strategic Offensive Arms Elimination, Office of the Assistant to the Secretary of Defense (Nuclear, Chemical and Biological Defense Programs), Washington, D.C.
- 1997 - 1999, Director, McClellan Central Laboratory, AFTAC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
- 1998 - 1998, Commander, 525th Expeditionary Air Base Squadron, Croatia
- 1999 - 2000, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2000 - 2002, Chief, Counterforce Demonstrations Branch, Systems Application Division, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
- 2002 - 2004, Chief, Nuclear Technology Division, DTRA, Fort Belvoir, Va.
- 2004 - 2006, military assistant to the Chief Scientist of the Air Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
- 2006 - 2008, Director, Mission Technology Integration, Northrop Grumman Space Technology, Redondo Beach, Calif.
- 2008 – 2018, Director, Materials Technology, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla
- 2018 - present, Director, Strategic Integration Directorate, AFTAC, Patrick AFB, Fla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Defense Superior Service Medal
- Legion of Merit
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Joint Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- NATO Medal
(Current as of April 2018)