• Deliver time dominant scientific and technical information to the right person for decision advantage supporting international nuclear treaty compliance and strategic, operational, and tactical warfighters.
LIMITED TEST BAN TREATY (1963)
- Prohibits all but underground tests
THRESHOLD TEST BAN TREATY (1974)
- Limits yield of tested weapon to 150 kt
PEACEFUL NUCLEAR EXPLOSION TREATY (1976)
- Governs use of nuclear devices outside declared test sites
COMPREHENSIVE NUCLEAR TEST BAN TREATY (1996)
- Bans all nuclear explosions for military or civilian purposes
• Nuclear Technical Forensics (NTNF): Prompt diagnostics airborne and ground sample collections sample analysis and evaluation support to attribution.
AFTAC Operational Domains
Our mission is performed through the acquisition, analysis, and evaluation of data collected by space based and subsurface sensors, airborne debris analysis, and laboratory results.
AFTAC scientists, analysts, and engineers execute the treaty monitoring mission 24 hours per day and rely on robust instruments, software tools, and extensive computational resources to perform their work.
AFTAC Research and Development
- R&D Roadmap and Blue print define AFTAC’s research needs and transition plan
- Transition of R&D products that are greater than TRL 5 into operations is critical for enhancing mission capabilities
- Improve geophysical event detection, location, and identification processes
- Improve in-situ material analysis methods
- Leverage data assets for supporting warfighter and combatant commands
- Improve material analysis processes
- Improve laboratory processes and throughput
- Improve United States Prompt Diagnostics System (USPDS) processes
- Leverage supercomputing technologies/modern software architectures
- Improve modeling and simulation tools across all mission areas